Each year, NSSLHA chapters participate in NSSLHA Chapter Honors—vying for gold, silver, and bronze status. We’re continuously wowed by the incredible work each chapter puts into reaching their goals . . . and this year was no exception! Check out the full list of 2020 Chapter Honors awardees.
We were particularly impressed with the hard work and dedication of the CSD students at California State University, Sacramento (CSUS) . . . our 2020 NSSLHA Chapter of the Year! Their primary goal was to inspire students to become service-oriented pre-professionals, which truly embodies National NSSLHA’s Strategic Plan initiatives:
Build a Strong and Diverse Membership Community
To strengthen their chapter, CSUS, held many events throughout the year for chapter members to increase their cultural competency, CSD knowledge, and personal growth:
- Cultural competency seminars
- Conversations with international students through the university’s English Language Institute
- Audiology and speech-language pathology topic panels and events
- Wellness workshops
- Peer Mentor Program between seniors and juniors
Enhance Member Understanding and Engagement
This past year, the CSUS NSSLHA chapter empowered students to advocate for their professions during multiple events:
- Student Advocacy Day (Fall 2019) and Virtual Advocacy Day (Spring 2020)—Members sent 340+ Take Action letters to state and federal legislators on a variety of topics that impact the professions of audiology and speech-language pathology. Not only did CSD students participate, but faculty, staff, and nursing students join in as well!
- Chapter members also traveled to the California State Capitol to advocate, in-person, with state legislators.
Facilitate Collaboration and Growth
Where CSUS NSSLHA chapter members really shine is through their service to others. This chapter volunteered 10,000+ hours and donated $19,000+ throughout the 2019-2020 academic year to a multitude of local organizations:
- Children’s Choice for Hearing and Talking Center
- Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services
- Reading Partners
- Best Buddies
- UC Davis MIND Institute
- Ronald McDonald House
- Sacramento State Pride Center
- Women’s Resource Center
- Ethel Phillips Elementary and Fern Bacon Middle schools
- Local retirement community
- Veterans and current service member groups
Although their Spring semester plans were cut short by the global public health crisis, they continue to strive toward service, learning, and collaboration with integrity.
Congrats again to the California State University, Sacramento, NSSLHA chapter once again for really excelling this year!